A systematic search at the source of the smoking problem
While there has been a redoubling of efforts to reduce smoking rates among Indigenous Australians, Indigenous health researchers have paid almost no attention to the tobacco industry — the “vector” of smoking-related diseases. The exceptions are two reports of the use of Aboriginal images to advertise Winfield cigarettes in Europe.1,2 We decided to examine industry documents to look for the inside story of the tobacco industry’s approach to the Indigenous Australian market.
- 1. Chapman S. The ugly Australian from Rothmans, in Germany. Tob Control 1999; 8: 362-363.
- 2. Butler R, Chapman S, Thomas DP, Torzillo P. Low daily smoking estimates derived from sales monitored tobacco use in six remote predominantly Aboriginal communities. Aust N Z J Public Health 2010; 34 Suppl 1: S71-S75.
- 3. Legacy tobacco documents library [internet]. San Francisco (CA): Regents of the University of California. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/ (accessed Sep 2011).
- 4. Chapman S, Byrne F, Carter SM. “Australia is one of the darkest markets in the world”: the global importance of Australian tobacco control. Tob Control 2003; 12 Suppl 3: iii1-3.
- 5. Stafford J, Bond L, Daube M. “We are still not yet out of the woods in WA”: Western Australia and the international tobacco industry. Perth: WA Tobacco Document Searching Program, Curtin University of Technology, 2009. healthsciences.curtin.edu.au/watdsp/local/docs/watdsp_monograph.pdf (accessed Feb 2012).
- 6. Hirschhorn N. The Tobacco Industry documents: what they are, what they tell us, and how to search them. A practical manual. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2005. http://www.who.int/tobacco/communications/TI_manual_content.pdf (accessed Sep 2011).
- 7. NAC complaints get cigarette ad dropped. Sydney Morning Herald 1984; 3 Aug: 4.
- 8. BATCo additional supplementary press cuttings: index. 14 Aug 1984. British American Tobacco. Bates No. 105651923. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/pmc77a99 (accessed Sep 2011).
- 9. Sweet M. Anyhow, have a digeridoo: our smoking image abroad. Sydney Morning Herald 1998; 2 Jul: 1,8.
- 10. Te Reo Marama. Success stories. http://www.tereomarama.co.nz/Site/media/media.aspx (accessed Sep 2011).
- 11. Senate Community Affairs References Committee. The tobacco industry and the costs of tobacco-related illness. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia, 1995. http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate_Committees?url=clac_ctte/completed_inquiries/pre1996.htm (accessed Feb 2012).
- 12. Riordan M. Senate communications discussion paper [memo]. 20 Jan 1994. British American Tobacco. Bates No. 502594420-502594422. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/rll43a99 (accessed Sep 2011).
- 13. Davies D, Hill J. Weekly report — Australia [memo]. 24 Feb 1995. Philip Morris. Bates No. 2045745612/5614. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/uoz74a00 (accessed Sep 2011).
- 14. Weir MA. Senate inquiry [memo with press releases and minority report]. 15 Dec 1995. British American Tobacco. Bates No. 800190658-800190689. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/lsb81a99 (accessed Sep 2011).
- 15. Philip Morris. Response to “The tobacco industry and the costs of tobacco-related illness” report of the Senate Community Affairs References Committee. June 1996. Philip Morris. Bates No. 2073934821/2073934958. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/bqx42c00 (accessed Sep 2011).
- 16. Chapman S. Public health advocacy and tobacco control: making smoking history. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing, 2007.
- 17. Roxon N, Snowdon W. Break the chain: Indigenous anti tobacco campaign kicks off [media release]. 28 March 2011. http://www.health.gov.au/internet/ministers/publishing.nsf/Content/510DC8E17ED3B784CA25786100142253/$File/nr053.pdf (accessed Apr 2011).
- 18. Industry Issues. 2 Oct 1996. Philip Morris. Bates No. 2504081799/1923. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/vwy45d00 (accessed Sep 2011).
- 19. Tobacco use among US racial/ethnic minority groups: a report of the Surgeon General. Washington, DC: US Department of Health and Human Services, 1998. http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/sgr/1998/complete_report/pdfs/complete_report.pdf (accessed Feb 2012).
- 20. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Population characteristics, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, 2006. Reissue. Canberra: ABS, 2010. (ABS Cat. No. 4713.0.) http://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/ausstats/subscriber.nsf/0/526FE126443EBCC6CA257718001D547F/$File/47130_2006_reissue.pdf (accessed Feb 2012).
- 21. Tobacco.org. Tobacco wars: TLC and BBC News present the definitive story of “big tobacco”, told by insiders from the cigarette industry, medicine, marketing and politics. http://www.tobacco.org/News/9910tobaccowars.html (accessed Mar 2012).
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.