For this two-part series, the MJA interviewed various stakeholders about the length of medical education. This first part focuses on the pathway before vocational training.
When Dr Gavin Sandercoe watched one of the first open-heart operations on television as a young child, he knew he wanted to become a surgeon. He got straight into undergraduate medicine at the University of Sydney when he was 17 but, although he didn’t take any time off from his studies, he wasn’t a fully qualified surgeon until 17 years later, at age 34, in 2008.
- 1. Gerber JP, DeLoyde K. 2009 Commencing medical students questionnaire: national data report. Sydney: Medical Deans Australia and New Zealand, 2010. http://www.medicaldeans.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2009_CMSQ_report_2_.pdf (accessed Apr 2012).
- 2. Australian Medical Association. Becoming a doctor and bonded medical student places — a guide for prospective medical students. Canberra: AMA, 2007. http://ama.com.au/node/4130 (accessed Apr 2012).
- 3. Royal Australian College of General Practitioners. The RACGP journey towards general practice. http://www.racgp.org.au/Content/NavigationMenu/educationandtraining/Generalpracticecareer/pathwaytoGP_flyer.pdf (accessed Apr 2012).
- 4. Medical Training Review Panel. Medical Training Review Panel fifteenth report. Canberra: Department of Health and Ageing, 2012. http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/5CEA280FF6 BD5659CA2579AE0000E151/$File/MTRP15.pdf (accessed Apr 2012).
- 5. Woodward S. Med grads face no-man’s land. Campus Review 2012; 19 Mar. http://www.campusreview. com.au/blog/international/med-grads-face-no-mans-land (accessed Apr 2012).
- 6. Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. Activities report for the period: 1 January – 31 December 2011. Melbourne: RACS, 2012. http://www.surgeons.org/media/465471/rpt2012-04-03_jan-dec__eoy__ar_final.pdf (accessed Apr 2012).
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.