We report the first human case of babesiosis in Australia, thought to be locally acquired
A 56-year-old man with serious hepatic, renal and bony injuries was transferred to Canberra Hospital in mid November 2010 following a motor vehicle accident. His medical history included type 1 diabetes mellitus, excessive alcohol and prescription medicine use, depression, hypertension and hypercholesterolaemia. He had no history of injecting drug use. He had been living on the south coast of New South Wales with his son.
- 1. Herwaldt BL, Cacciò S, Gherlinzoni F, et al. Molecular characterization of a non–Babesia divergens organism causing zoonotic babesiosis in Europe. Emerg Infect Dis 2003; 9: 942-948.
- 2. Jefferies R, Ryan UM, Irwin PJ. PCR-RFLP for the detection and differentiation of the canine piroplasm species and its use with filter paper-based technologies. Vet Parasitol 2007; 144: 20-27.
- 3. Skrabalo Z, Deanovic Z. Piroplasmosis in man; report of a case. Doc Med Geogr Trop 1957; 9: 11-16.
- 4. Vannier E, Gewurz BE, Krause PJ. Human babesiosis. Infect Dis Clin North Am 2008; 22: 469-488.
- 5. Kim JY, Cho SH, Joo HN, et al. First case of human babesiosis in Korea: detection and characterization of a novel type of Babesia sp. (KO1) similar to ovine babesia. J Clin Microbiol 2007; 45: 2084–2087.
- 6. Bush JB, Isaäcson M, Mohamed AS, et al. Human babesiosis–a preliminary report of 2 suspected cases in South Africa. S Afr Med J 1990; 78: 699.
- 7. Rios L, Alvarez G, Blair S. Serological and parasitological study and report of the first case of human babesiosis in Colombia. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 2003; 36: 493-498.
- 8. Marathe A, Tripathi J, Handa V, Date V. Human babesiosis–a case report. Indian J Med Microbiol 2005; 23: 267-269.
- 9. Nakajima R, Tsuji M, Zamoto-Niikura A, et al. Babesia microti-group parasites compared phylogenetically by complete sequencing of the CCTeta gene in 36 isolates. J Vet Med Sci 2009; 71: 55-68.
- 10. Bock R, Jackson L, de Vos A, Jorgensen W. Babesiosis of cattle. Parasitology 2004; 129 Suppl: S247-S269.
- 11. Jefferies R, Ryan UM, Jardine J, et al. Blood, bull terriers and babesiosis: further evidence for direct transmission of Babesia gibsoni in dogs. Aust Vet J 2007; 85: 459-463.
- 12. Clark P. Haematology of Australian mammals. 1st ed. Melbourne: CSIRO Publishing, 2004.
- 13. Hatcher JC, Greenberg PD, Antique J, Jimenez-Lucho VE. Severe babesiosis in Long Island: review of 34 cases and their complications. Clin Infect Dis 2001; 32: 1117-1125.
- 14. Goo YK, Terkawi MA, Jia H, et al. Artesunate, a potential drug for treatment of Babesia infection. Parasitol Int 2010; 59: 481-486.
- 15. Leiby DA. Transfusion-transmitted Babesia spp.: bull’s-eye on Babesia microti. Clin Microbiol Rev 2011; 24: 14-28.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.