A 62-year-old woman with an autoimmune disease presented with panuveitis and was treated with immune suppression. She subsequently developed herpetic acute retinal necrosis and later died of herpes simplex encephalitis. Acute retinal necrosis usually occurs months to years after herpes simplex encephalitis. In our case, the ocular findings were present for 5 weeks before the encephalitis presented. To our knowledge, this is the first Australian case of acute retinal necrosis preceding herpes simplex encephalitis. (MJA 2011; 195: 87-88)
- 1. Gain P, Chiquet C, Thuret G, et al. Herpes simplex virus type 1 encephalitis associated with acute retinal necrosis syndrome in an immunocompetent patient. Acta Ophthalmol Scand 2002; 80: 546-549.
- 2. Kamel OR, Galloway GD, Trew DR. Delayed onset acute retinal necrosis 20 years following herpetic encephalitis. Eye (Lond) 2000; 14 Pt 5: 788-789.
- 3. Levinson RD, Reidy R, Chiu MT. Acute retinal necrosis after neonatal herpes encephalitis. Br J Ophthalmol 1999; 83: 123-124.
- 4. Maertzdorf J, Van der Lelij A, Baarsma GS, et al. Herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1)-induced retinitis following herpes simplex encephalitis: indications for brain-to-eye transmission of HSV-1. Ann Neurol 2000; 48: 936-939.
- 5. Pavésio CE, Conrad DK, McCluskey PJ, et al. Delayed acute retinal necrosis after herpetic encephalitis. Br J Ophthalmol 1997; 81: 415-416.
- 6. Preiser W, Doerr HW, Buxbaum S, et al. Acute retinal necrosis six years after herpes simplex encephalitis: an elusive immune deficit suggested by insufficient test sensitivity. J Med Virol 2004; 73: 250-255.
- 7. Pepose JS, Kreiger AE, Tomiyasu U, et al. Immunocytologic localization of herpes simplex type 1 viral antigens in herpetic retinitis and encephalitis in an adult. Ophthalmology 1985; 92: 160-166.
- 8. Vandercam T, Hintzen RQ, de Boer JH, Van der Lelij A. Herpetic encephalitis is a risk factor for acute retinal necrosis. Neurology 2008; 71: 1268-1274.
- 9. Bristow EA, Cottrell DG, Pandit RJ. Bilateral acute retinal necrosis syndrome following herpes simplex type 1 encephalitis. Eye (Lond) 2006; 20: 1327-1330.
- 10. Atherton SS. Acute retinal necrosis: insights into pathogenesis from the mouse model. Herpes 2001; 8: 69-73.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.