Design, setting and participants: A Victorian population-based descriptive study of all cytogenetic examinations resulting in a diagnosis of KS, including prenatal diagnoses from 1986 to 2006 and postnatal diagnoses from 1991 to 2006.
Conclusions: KS may be occurring more frequently than has been reported previously, yet many cases remain undiagnosed. Our results highlight the need for increased awareness leading to timely detection.
- 1. Jacobs PA, Strong JA. A case of human intersexuality having a possible XXY sex-determining mechanism. Nature 1959; 183: 302-303.
- 2. Bojesen A, Gravholt CH. Klinefelter syndrome in clinical practice. Nat Clin Pract Urol 2007; 4: 192-204.
- 3. Nielsen J, Wohlert M. Sex chromosome abnormalities found among 34,910 newborn children: results from a 13-year incidence study in Arhus, Denmark. Birth Defects Orig Artic Ser 1990; 26: 209-223.
- 4. Ratcliffe S. Development of children with sex chromosome abnormalities. Proc R Soc Med 1976; 69: 3.
- 5. Hamerton JL, Canning N, Ray M, Smith S. A cytogenetic survey of 14,069 newborn infants. I. Incidence of chromosome abnormalities. Clin Genet 1975; 8: 223-243.
- 6. Bochkov NP, Kuleshov NP, Chebotarev AN, et al. Population cytogenetic investigation of newborns in Moscow. Humangenetik 1974; 22: 139-152.
- 7. Higurashi M, Iijima K, Ishikawa N, et al. Incidence of major chromosome aberrations in 12,319 newborn infants in Tokyo. Hum Genet 1979; 46: 163-172.
- 8. Leonard MF, Schowalter JE, Landy G, et al. Chromosomal abnormalities in the New Haven newborn study: a prospective study of development of children with sex chromosome anomalies. Birth Defects Orig Artic Ser 1979; 15: 115-159.
- 9. Maclean N, Harnden DG, Brown WM, et al. Sex-chromosome abnormalities in newborn babies. Lancet 1964; 1: 286-290.
- 10. Bojesen A, Juul S, Gravholt CH. Prenatal and postnatal prevalence of Klinefelter syndrome: a national registry study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003; 88: 622-626.
- 11. Abramsky L, Chapple J. 47,XXY (Klinefelter syndrome) and 47,XYY: estimated rates of and indication for postnatal diagnosis with implications for prenatal counselling. Prenat Diagn 1997; 17: 363-368.
- 12. Simpson JL, De La Cruz F, Swerdloff RS, et al. Klinefelter syndrome: expanding the phenotype and identifying new research directions. Genet Med 2003; 5: 460-468.
- 13. Lanfranco F, Kamischke A, Zitzmann M, Nieschlag E. Klinefelter’s syndrome. Lancet 2004; 364: 273-283.
- 14. Morris JK, Alberman E, Scott C, Jacobs P. Is the prevalence of Klinefelter syndrome increasing? Eur J Hum Genet 2008; 16: 163-170.
- 15. Ferguson-Smith MA, Yates JR. Maternal age specific rates for chromosome aberrations and factors influencing them. Report of a collaborative European study on 52,965 amniocenteses. Prenat Diagn 1984; 4: 5-44.
- 16. De Souza E, Morris JK; EUROCAT working group. Case-control analysis of paternal age and trisomic anomalies. Arch Dis Child 2010; Jun 28.
- 17. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Births Australia 2006. Canberra: ABS, 2006: (ABS Cat. No. 3301.0.)
- 18. Davey M-A, Taylor O, Oats JJN, et al. Births in Victoria 2005 and 2006. Melbourne: Victorian Perinatal Data Collection Unit, Department of Human Services, 2008.
- 19. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Year book Australia, 2009–10. (ABS Cat. No. 1301.0.) http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/allprimarymainfeatures/796378C9B98D7F1CCA 25773700177E5E?opendocument (accessed Nov 2009).
- 20. Coffee B, Keith K, Albizua I, et al. Incidence of fragile X syndrome by newborn screening for methylated FMR1 DNA. Am J Hum Genet 2009; 85: 503-514.
- 21. Denmark S. [Population statistics, 2009] [Danish]. http://www.statistikbanken.dk (accessed Nov 2009).
- 22. Wang YA, Dean JH, Badgery-Parker T, Sullivan EA. Assisted reproduction technology in Australia and New Zealand 2006. Sydney: Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, National Perinatal Statistics Unit; 2006. (AIHW Cat. No. PER 43.)
- 23. Nielsen J, Pelsen B, Sorensen K. Follow-up of 30 Klinefelter males treated with testosterone. Clin Genet 1988; 33: 262-269.
- 24. Bojesen A, Juul S, Birkebaek NH, Gravholt CH. Morbidity in Klinefelter syndrome: a Danish register study based on hospital discharge diagnoses. J Clin Endocr Metab 2006; 91: 1254-1260.
- 25. Herlihy AS, Halliday J, McLachlan RI, et al. Assessing the risks and benefits of diagnosing genetic conditions with variable phenotypes through population screening: Klinefelter syndrome as an example. J Community Genet 2010; 1: 41-46.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.