Severe childhood obesity and its associated comorbidities are increasing in prevalence.
Extreme childhood obesity may be viewed as a mirror image of severe non-organic failure to thrive. Parental neglect may be a causative factor in both circumstances.
When suspicion of parental neglect arises, health care professionals may have both an ethical obligation and a statutory duty to notify child protection services.
Guidelines on the point at which medical practitioners should seek state assistance in cases of severe childhood obesity would be helpful, not only for medical practitioners, but also for child protection services.
- 1. Lobstein T, Baur L, Uauy R. Obesity in children and young people: a crisis in public health. Obes Rev 2004; 5 Suppl 1: 4-104.
- 2. Wang Y, Lobstein T. Worldwide trends in childhood overweight and obesity. Int J Pediatr Obes 2006; 1: 11-25.
- 3. Whitaker R, Wright J, Pepe M, et al. Predicting obesity in young adulthood from childhood and parental obesity. N Engl J Med 1997; 337: 869-873.
- 4. Wang G, Dietz W. Economic burden of obesity in youths aged 6 to 17 years: 1979–1999. Pediatrics 2002; 109: e81.
- 5. Verduin P, Agarwal S, Waltman S. Solutions to obesity: perspectives from the food industry. Am J Clin Nutr 2005; 82 Suppl 1: 259S-261S.
- 6. Speiser P, Rudolf M, Anhalt H, et al. Consensus statement: childhood obesity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005; 90: 1871-1887.
- 7. Armstrong RM. Obesity, law and personal responsibility. Med J Aust 2007; 186: 20. <MJA full text>
- 8. Lee T, Oliver J. Public opinion and the politics of America’s obesity epidemic. Working Paper Number: RWP02-017. Cambridge, Mass: John F Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, 2002. http://ksgnotes1.harvard.edu/Research/wpaper.nsf/rwp/RWP02-017/$File/rwp02_017_lee.pdf (accessed Dec 2008).
- 9. Campbell MW-C, Williams J, Hampton A, Wake M. Maternal concern and perceptions of overweight in Australian preschool-aged children. Med J Aust 2006; 184: 274-277. <MJA full text>
- 10. National Association for Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect. What is child abuse and neglect? http://www.napcan.org.au/what.htm (accessed Dec 2008).
- 11. Christoffel K, Forsyth B. Mirror image of environmental deprivation: severe childhood obesity of psychosocial origin. Child Abuse Neglect 1989; 13: 240-256.
- 12. Zeller M, Reiter-Purtill J, Modi A, et al. Controlled study of critical parent and family factors in the obesigenic environment. Obes Res 2007; 15: 126-136.
- 13. Gibson LY, Byrne SM, Davis EA, et al. The role of family and maternal factors in childhood obesity. Med J Aust 2007; 186: 591-595. <MJA full text>
- 14. Golley R, Magarey A, Baur LA, et al. Twelve-month effectiveness of a parent-led, family focused weight-management program for prepubertal children: a randomized controlled trial. Pediatrics 2007; 119: 517-525.
- 15. Sherman J, Naumstein S, Hendeles L. Intervention strategies for children poorly adherent with asthma medications; one center’s experience. Clin Pediatr 2001; 40: 253-258.
- 16. Wolf L, Lo B, Beckerman K, et al. When parents reject interventions to reduce postnatal human immunodeficiency virus transmission. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2001; 155: 927-933.
- 17. PD v Harvey  NSWSC 487.
- 18. McIlwraith L, Madden B. Health care and the law. 4th ed. Sydney: Lawbook Co, 2006.
- 19. Children and Young Persons (Care and Protection) Act 1998 (NSW) ss 23, 27.
- 20. Children and Young Persons (Care and Protection) Act 1998 (NSW) ss 30, 34, 36.
- 21. Children and Young Persons (Care and Protection) Act 1998 (NSW) ss 38A.
- 22. Department of Health and Community Services (NT) v JWB and SMB (Re Marion) (1992) 175 CLR 218.
- 23. Royal Alexandra Hospital v Joseph  NSWSC 422.
- 24. Children and Young Persons (Care and Protection) Act 1998 (NSW) ss 78-79.
- 25. Patel D. Super-sized kids: using the law to combat morbid obesity in children. Family Court Rev 2005; 43: 164-177.
- 26. Matter of Kayla T. 2007 NY Slip Op 27078. Family Court, Chemung County. Brockway J. 23 February 2007. http://pub.bna.com/fl/12420306.htm (accessed Oct 2007).
- 27. Overweight eight-year-old to stay with mother. Sydney Morning Herald 2007; 27 Feb. http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/overweight-eightyearold-to-stay-with-mother/2007/02/28/1172338665403.htm (accessed Dec 2008).
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.