Australia is an attractive workplace for overseas-trained specialist (OTS) anaesthetists.
The path to recognition of the qualifications and experience of OTS anaesthetists is, in my opinion, bogged down in an overzealous assessment procedure.
The Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists (ANZCA) is a self-proclaimed professional body that is not subject to regulation by the federal government.
Medical authorities such as the Australian Medical Council and state medical boards have no influence on ANZCA’s assessment criteria and procedures.
In my opinion, the current state of affairs with regard to assessment of OTS anaesthetists can not be justified.
- 1. Choncholas G, Sondergaard S, Heinonen E. Validation and clinical application of a first order step response equation for nitrogen clearance during FRC measurement. J Clin Monit Comput 2008; 22: 1-9.
- 2. Sondergaard S. Surprises in plethysmography. Anesthesiology 2008; 108: 171-172.
- 3. Van Der Weyden MB. The Bundaberg Hospital scandal: the need for reform in Queensland and beyond [editorial]. Med J Aust 2005; 183: 284-285. <MJA full text>
- 4. Australian Medical Council. Accreditation report 2002. The education and training programs of the Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists. http://www.anzca.edu.au/publications/reports/amcsub/rprt_conclusion.htm#ots; http://www.jficm.anzca.edu.au/publications/amcrpt/assess.htm (accessed Jun 2007). (These URLs have since been removed.)
- 5. Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and Australian Health Workforce Officials’ Committee. Report to Australian health ministers: review of Australian specialist medical colleges. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia, 2005. http://www.nhwt.gov.au/documents/Publications/2005/Review%20of%20Australian%20specialist%20medical %20colleges.pdf (accessed Sep 2008).
- 6. Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists. Regulation 6: admission to Fellowship of the College. http://www.anzca.edu.au/resources/regu lations/regulation-6.html (accessed Sep 2008).
- 7. Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists. Annual report 2007. Melbourne: ANZCA, 2007: 29. http://www.anzca.edu.au/anzca1/about/ANZCA_Annual%20Report_07_web.pdf (accessed Sep 2008).
- 8. Report following the Council Meeting of the Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists held on 19th April 2008. ANZCA Bull 2008; 17 (2): 23. http://www.anzca.edu.au/news/bulletin/Bulletin_July_FA.pdf (accessed Sep 2008).
- 9. Hirst JB. Sense and nonsense in Australian history. Melbourne: Black Inc Agenda, 2005.
- 10. Orwell G. Animal farm. San Diego: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1983.
- 11. Day D. Claiming a continent: a history of Australia. Sydney: Angus and Robertson, 1996.
- 12. Gaita R. Romulus, my father. Melbourne: Text Publishing, 1999.
- 13. Pelly M. The silk who came in from the cold: Margaret Cunneen finally gets the nod of approval. The Australian 2007; 5 Oct; Legal affairs: 29.
- 14. Srivastava R. A bridge to nowhere — the troubled trek of foreign medical graduates. N Engl J Med 2008; 358: 216-219.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.