It remains unclear how federal government intervention measures in Indigenous communities in Central Australia will create sustainable, safe and nurturing communities
There are none among us who would question the sanctity of our children. Children lie at the core of Aboriginal existence and of our survival. Furthermore, there are none among us who would not welcome any just measures to protect our children. Child protection and survival remain central to the fight for Aboriginal rights, identity and cultural continuity.
- 1. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Crown Prosecutor speaks out about abuse in Central Australia [television program transcript]. Lateline 2006; 15 May. http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2006/s1639127.htm (accessed Nov 2007).
- 2. ABC News. Break up Indigenous paedophile rings: Brough. 2006; 17 May. http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2006/05/17/1640175.htm (accessed Nov 2007).
- 3. Kearney S, Wilson A. Raping children part of “men’s business”. The Australian [Internet] 2007; 4 Nov. http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19149874-2702,00.html (accessed Nov 2007).
- 4. Johns G. Social stability and structural adjustment. Bennelong Society Sixth Annual Conference: Leaving Remote Communities; 2006 Sep 2; Melbourne. http://www.bennelong.com.au/conferences/pdf/Johns2006.pdf (accessed Nov 2007).
- 5. Brough M. Blueprint for action in Indigenous affairs [speech]. National Institute of Governance, Indigenous Affairs Governance Series; 2006 Dec 5; Canberra. http://www.facsia.gov.au/internet/Minister3.nsf/content/051206.htm (accessed Nov 2007).
- 6. Wild R, Anderson P. Ampe akelyernemane meke mekarle: “little children are sacred”. Report of the Northern Territory Board of Inquiry into the Protection of Aboriginal Children from Sexual Abuse. Darwin: NT Government, 2007. http://www.nt.gov.au/dcm/inquirysaac/pdf/bipacsa_final_report.pdf (accessed Nov 2007).
- 7. Aboriginal alliance says government plan “unworkable”. National Indigenous Times [Internet] 2007; 28 Jun. http://www.nit.com.au/news/story.aspx?id=11795 (accessed Nov 2007).
- 8. Four months later and key elements of intervention haven't been implemented: study. National Indigenous Times [Internet] 2007; 8 Nov. http://www.nit.com.au/news/story.aspx?id=13257 (accessed Nov 2007).
- 9. Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights. Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. http://www.ohchr.org/english/issues/indigenous/declaration.htm (accessed Nov 2007).
- 10. McQuire A. Passing of UN Declaration after two decades a “milestone”: Calma. National Indigenous Times [Internet] 2007; 14 Sep. http://www.nit.com.au/News/story.aspx?id=12694 (accessed Nov 2007).
- 11. Szoke H. Indigenous rights need to be included in Victorian charter. The Age (Melbourne) [Internet] 2007; 26 Sep. http://www.theage.com.au/text/articles/2007/09/25/1190486307024.html (accessed Nov 2007).
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.