Main outcome measures: Changes in the age-adjusted and age- and sex-specific rates of suicide in Indigenous and non-Indigenous NT residents over time; prior diagnosis of mental illness and use of alcohol or other drugs by those completing suicide.
Results: The age-adjusted suicide rate in the NT increased significantly between 1981 and 2002 (P < 0.001). Over this period, the rates among the Indigenous and non-Indigenous male populations increased by 800% (P < 0.05) and 30% (P > 0.05), respectively. Indigenous males aged under 45 years and non-Indigenous males aged 65 years and over were most at risk. In the Top End, a history of diagnosed mental illness was present in 49% of suicide cases, and misuse of alcohol or other drugs around the time of death was associated with 72% of suicide cases.
Conclusion: Our study highlights the rising rate of suicide in the NT and suggests that suicide prevention initiatives need to specifically target Indigenous and non-Indigenous males in the age groups most at risk.
- 1. Hoogland S, Pieters R. Suicide in Australia, a dying shame. Sydney: Wesley Mission, 2000.
- 2. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Causes of death, Australia, 2002. Canberra: ABS, 2003. (ABS Cat. No. 3303.0.)
- 3. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Suicides, Australia, 1921–1998. Canberra: ABS, 2000. (ABS Cat. No. 3309.0.)
- 4. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Information paper: suicides 2001. Revised ed. Canberra: ABS, 2003 (ABS Cat. No. 3309.0.55.001.)
- 5. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Census second release (summary publication), 2001. Northern Territory. Canberra: ABS, 2002. (ABS Cat. No. 2046.0.)
- 6. Plant AJ, Condon JR, Darling G. Northern Territory health outcomes, morbidity and mortality 1979–1991. Darwin: NT Department of Health and Community Services, 1995.
- 7. Li SQ, Guthridge SL. Mortality in the Northern Territory, 1981–2000. Part 1: key indicators and overview. Darwin: NT Department of Health and Community Services, 2004.
- 8. Matthews P, Foreman J. Jervis on the office and duties of coroners. 11th ed. London: Sweet and Maxwell, 1993.
- 9. Hillman S, Silburn SR, Zubrick SR, Nguyen H. Suicide in Western Australia, 1986–1997. Perth: TVW Telethon Institute for Child Health Research and Centre for Child Health Research, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Western Australia, 2000.
- 10. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Australian demographic statistics, 1994. Canberra: ABS, 1994. (ABS Cat. No. 3101.0.)
- 11. Northern Territory Department of Health and Community Services. Northern Territory Strategic Framework for Suicide Prevention. A framework for the prevention of suicide and self-harm in the Northern Territory 2003. http://www.nt.gov.au/health/comm_svs/mental_health/framework_for_suicide_prevention.pdf (accessed Aug 2006).
- 12. De Leo D, Evans R. Suicide in Queensland 1996–1998. Mortality rates and related data. Brisbane: Australian Institute for Suicide Research and Prevention, 2002.
- 13. Parker R, Ben-Tovim DI. A study of factors affecting suicide in Aboriginal and “other” populations in the Top End of the Northern Territory through an audit of coronial records. Aust N Z J Psychiatry 2002; 36: 404-410.
- 14. Trewin D, Madden R. The health and welfare of Australia’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. Canberra: Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2005. (ABS Cat. No. 4704.0.)
- 15. Murphy GE. Psychiatric aspects of suicidal behaviour: substance abuse. In: Hawton K, van Heeringen K, editors. The international handbook of suicide and attempted suicide. Chichester: John Wiley and Sons, 2000.
- 16. Catalano P, Chikritzhs T, Stockwell T, et al. Trends in per capita alcohol consumption in Australia, 1990/91–1998/99. Technical report. Perth: National Drug Research Institute, Curtin University of Technology, 2001.
- 17. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. 2001 National Drug Strategy household survey: state and territory supplement. Canberra: AIHW, 2002. (AIHW Cat. No. PHE 37.)
- 18. Clough AR, Cairney S, Maruff P, Parker R. Rising cannabis use in Indigenous communities [letter]. Med J Aust 2002; 177: 395-396. <MJA full text>
- 19. Patton GC, Coffey C, Carlin JB, et al. Cannabis use and mental health in young people: cohort study. BMJ 2002; 325: 1195-1198.
- 20. Arseneault L, Cannon M, Witton J, Murray R. Causal association between cannabis and psychosis: examination of the evidence. Br J Psychiatry 2004; 184: 110-117.
- 21. Budney AJ, Moore BA, Vandrey RG, Hughes JR. The time course and significance of cannabis withdrawal. J Abnorm Psychol 2003; 112: 393-402.
- 22. Judd F, Cooper A, Fraser C, Davis J. Rural suicide — people or place effects? Aust N Z J Psychiatry 2006; 40: 208-216.
- 23. Hunter E. Aboriginal communities and suicide. Australas Psychiatry 1996; 4: 195-199.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.