A 71-year-old white woman presented with increased shortness of breath over a 6-day period, followed by acute onset of severe back and interscapular pain. Her past medical history consisted of hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and a distant history of alveolar-cell carcinoma of the lung, with right lower lobectomy in 1974.
- 1. Guidelines on diagnosis and management of acute pulmonary embolism. Task Force on Pulmonary Embolism, European Society of Cardiology. Eur Heart J 2000; 21: 1301-1336.
- 2. Kasper W, Konstantinides S, Geibel A, et al. Management strategies and determinants of outcome in acute major pulmonary embolism: results of a multicenter registry. J Am Coll Cardiol 1997; 30: 1165-1171.
- 3. Goldhaber SZ. Integration of catheter thrombectomy into our armamentarium to treat acute pulmonary embolism. Chest 1998; 114: 1237-1238.
- 4. Dalen JE, Alpert JS. Natural history of pulmonary embolism. Prog Cardiovasc Dis 1975; 17: 259-270.
- 5. Goldhaber SZ. Thrombolysis for pulmonary embolism. N Engl J Med 2002; 347: 1131-1132.
- 6. Schmitz-Rode T, Janssens U, Duda SH, et al. Massive pulmonary embolism: percutaneous emergency treatment by pigtail rotation catheter. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000; 36: 375-380.
- 7. Greenfield LJ, Proctor MC, Williams DM, Wakefield TW. Long-term experience with transvenous catheter pulmonary embolectomy. J Vasc Surg 1993; 18: 450-457.
- 8. Koning R, Cribier A, Gerber L, et al. A new treatment for severe pulmonary embolism: percutaneous rheolytic thrombectomy. Circulation 1997; 96: 2498-2500.
- 9. Murphy JM, Mulvihill N, Mulcahy D, et al. Percutaneous catheter and guidewire fragmentation with local administration of recombinant tissue plasminogen activator as a treatment for massive pulmonary embolism. Eur Radiol 1999; 9: 959-964.
- 10. Goldhaber SZ. Echocardiography in the management of pulmonary embolism. Ann Intern Med 2002; 136: 691-700.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.