Otitis media — definitions
- 1. WHO/CIBA Foundation Workshop. Prevention of hearing impairment from chronic otitis media. WHO/PDH/98.4. 1996. London, CIBA Foundation. 19-11-1996.
- 2. Couzos S, Metcalf S, Murray R, of the National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (NACCHO). Systematic review of existing evidence and primary care guidelines on the management of otitis media in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander populations. Canberra: Office for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health, 2001.
- 3. Leach A, Boswell J, Asche V, et al. Bacterial colonisation of the nasopharynx predicts very early onset and persistence of otitis media in Australian Aboriginal infants. Pediatr Infect Dis J 1994; 13 : 983-989.
- 4. Smith-Vaughan HC, McBroom J, Mathews JD. Modelling of endemic carriage of Haemophilus influenzae in Aboriginal infants in Northern Australia. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 2001; 31: 137-143.
- 5. Cole PJ. Inflammation: a two-edged sword — the model of bronchiectasis. Eur J Respir Dis Suppl 1986; 147: 6-15.
- 6. Runcie M, Bailie R. Evaluation of environmental health survey data — Indigenous housing. Darwin, NT: The Cooperative Research Centre for Aboriginal and Tropical Health, 2000. ISBN 1876831 189.
- 7. Morris P, Ballinger D, Leach A, et al. Recommendations for clinical care guidelines on the management of otitis media in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander populations. Canberra: Office of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health, 2001.
- 8. National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (NACCHO). Summary of the "Report on the delivery of hearing services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples". Member of the Advisory Group for the Review of Hearing Services, delivered by the Commonwealth to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, 16 August 2001. Available at: http://www.naccho.org.au/HearingHealth.html (accessed 18 July 2002).
- 9. Aboriginal, Rural and Remote Interest Group for the Audiological Society of Australia. General guidelines for audiological practice with Indigenous Australians. Audiological Society of Australia, June 2001. Available at: http://www.audiology.asn.au/ (accessed 31 May 2002).
- 10. Government response to the House of Representatives Inquiry into Indigenous Health — "Health is Life" report. March 2001. Available at: http://www.health.gov.au/oatsih/healthlife/index.htm (accessed 18 July 2002).
- 11. Post JC. Direct evidence of bacterial biofilms in otitis media. Laryngoscope 2001; 111: 2083-2094.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.