The Medical Journal of Australia (MJA) offers all authors the option to publish their articles under hybrid or green open access terms via our publishing partner John Wiley and Sons.
Authors can flag their interest in open access options during the submission process and take it up directly via the Wiley Author Dashboard.
Hybrid open access
- The article is made freely available via Wiley Online Library and on the MJA website
- Authors can immediately post the final, published PDF of their article on a website, institutional repository, or other free public server
- Articles will be automatically submitted to PubMed Central and PMC mirror sites, when appropriate
- Authors retain copyright with a Creative Commons license
- Authors can fully comply with funder open access mandates
- Authors not participating in the CAUL-Wiley agreement pay an article publication charge (APC) of $ 3,000 USD, 2,250 GPB, 2,550 EUR (AUD pricing is not currently offered to MJA authors)
CAUL - Wiley Agreement
From 1 January 2022, authors affiliated with institutions in Australia and New Zealand that are participating in Wiley’s Council of Australian University Librarians (CAUL) agreement may elect to publish under Gold Open Access terms with no transactional Article Publication Charges (APC). To ensure eligibility, authors should review the terms at https://caul.libguides.com/read-and-publish/wiley, place their CAUL institution’s affiliation as the first listed and use their institutional email address. Authors must select Open Access publication under the CAUL agreement when completing their licensing agreement with Wiley, as it is not possible take advantage of this arrangement once the article has been published.
Green open access
- Authors may place the accepted version of the article online in a repository or website following publication in a subscription-based journal and after a certain embargo period (12 months).