Results from recently published clinical trials provide additional information to be considered in the choice of therapies in the management of acute coronary syndromes. This addendum summarises the important findings and their implications for recommended practice.
This addendum supplements the recommendations outlined in the National Heart Foundation of Australia/Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand “Guidelines for the management of acute coronary syndromes 2006”.1
- 1. Acute Coronary Syndrome Guidelines Working Group. Guidelines for the management of acute coronary syndromes 2006. Med J Aust 2006; 184 (8 Suppl): S1-S32. <MJA full text>
- 2. Gershlick AH, Stephens-Lloyd A, Hughes S, et al. Rescue angioplasty after failed thrombolytic therapy for acute myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 2005; 353: 2758-2768.
- 3. Wijeysundera HC, Vijayaraghavan MD, Brahmajee K, et al. Rescue angioplasty or repeat fibrinolysis after failed fibrinolytic therapy for ST-segment myocardial infarction. A meta-analysis of randomized trials. JACC 2007; 49: 422-430.
- 4. Hochman JS, Lamas GA, Buller CE, et al. Coronary intervention for persistent occlusion after myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 2006; 355: 2395-2407.
- 5. Antman EM, Morrow DA, McCabe CH, et al. Enoxaparin versus unfractionated heparin with fibrinolysis for ST-elevation myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 2006; 354: 1477-1488.
- 6. The OASIS-6 Trial Group. Effects of fondaparinux on mortality and reinfarction in patients with acute ST-elevation myocardial infarction. The OASIS-6 randomized trial. JAMA 2006; 295: 1519-1530.
- 7. Fifth Organization to Assess Strategies in Acute Ischemic Syndromes Investigators. Comparison of fondaparinux and enoxaparin in acute coronary syndromes. N Engl J Med 2006; 354: 1464-1476.
- 8. Stone GW, McLaurin BT, Cox DA, et al. Bivalirudin for patients with acute coronary syndromes. N Engl J Med 2006; 355: 2203-2216.
- 9. Kastrati A, Mehilli J, Neumann FJ, et al. Abciximab in patients with acute coronary syndromes undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention after clopidogrel pretreatment: the ISAR-REACT 2 randomized trial. JAMA 2006; 295: 1531-1538.
- 10. Stone GW, Bertrand ME, Moses JW, et al. Routine upstream initiation vs deferred selective use of glycoprotein IIb/IIIa inhibitors in acute coronary syndromes. JAMA 2007; 297: 591-602.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.